CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

On the Roof

Last week's story about our ailing hermit crab included the phrase "on the roof." Because several friends have asked for clarification, I am going to take this week to explain where the phrase originated for me and my husband...


There once was a man who went on vacation, leaving his cat under the care of a neighbor. When the man returned from vacation he went to his neighbor and asked, "How's my cat?"

The neighbor, lacking in social graces, replied, "The cat's dead."

The man was distraught. Not only did he lose his cat, but the news was dropped on him like a bomb.

"You can't just tell me my cat's dead!" he cried. "You have to ease me into it! Say, 'Your cat was on the roof,' and then, 'Your cat fell off,' and then 'Your cat was badly hurt,' and then 'The doctors tried everything they could,' and THEN, 'Your cat passed away.'"

"Gosh, I'm really sorry," the neighbor replied.

"That's alright," the man said, regaining his composure. "How was my mom while I was gone?"

The neighbor's face became very stoic. He drew a deep breath before starting, "Your mom was on the roof..."


Have a fabulous week, and stay off the roof!!

4 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Haha. Too funny. And I laughed at your "Hawktagon" I'm not really sure what KState fan decided to create the "octogon of doom" signs...but it made me slightly embarassed for all my fellow wildcat fans.

Leah Rubin said...

Good story! But I'm so old that I didn't need the explanation... I'm beginning to feel like Mel Brooks' 2000-year old man! Like I sort of remember the cooling of the earth's crust...

RV Roof Repair said...

Hey that's really a very good story. I just love to read these type of funny stories. Thanks for sharing such a cool story with us.

Sassy Britches said...

I'd heard it before, but I'd totally forgotten it! I think it's too hysterical that you and your husband use the code.