CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 3, 2009

Running with the Pack

FRIDAY
4:30 IN THE AFTERNOON


“You see, Jane,” I said to the woman at the regional Boy Scouts office, “my husband and I have already made arrangements. I will take my son to Scout Camp and stay until my husband gets off work, at which point he will hustle his butt to camp and relieve me of all overnight duties.”

Jane wasn’t budging. “We really don’t give a crap. The parent that starts Scout Camp stays at Scout Camp,” she said.

“So I have to spend the night there?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“In a tent?” I continued.

“Unless you prefer to sleep outside, then yes.”

“But, I don’t camp. I like my mattress. I like my pillow. I like my climate-controlled home,” I pleaded.

“You can bring your pillow,” Jane said.

“But I have flat feet and glasses. And I’m terribly allergic to poison ivy.”

“It’s camp,” she said, “not the military.”

“But, I married my husband because he promised to never take me camping.”

Silence.

Sigh.

“Is there anything else I can do for you, ma’am?” Jane was relentless.

“Do the Boy Scouts have Wi-Fi?”

****

Friends, I am not fully available this week. Due to unforeseen circumstances - and the Boy Scouts’ strict emphasis on following rules – I will be camping with my 8-year-old son, acres of dads, and their mini-me’s.

Assuming I’m not covered in poison ivy from scalp to sole, I will return sooner than Monday with all sorts of fun.

In the meantime, please check out Chrissy at I Shoulda Been a Stripper, who bestowed this major award upon me, and to whom I am most grateful!

I ask all my fellow bloggers to please nominate your blog in the “comments” section and for all readers to feel free to check them out… I’ve got some VERY talented blogger friends.

Be Back Soon!

7 comments:

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

Oh dear! My idea of camping involves a cabin with indoor plumbing, heat/air.....and a hot tub. Good luck surviving the wilderness!

KC said...

Sweet Mother! It sounds like torture to me. This is why I pretend to be extremely busy/deaf everytime my youngest mentions scouting or camping. You are a much better person than I.

Diane J. said...

Oh my, darn rules! Good luck and I can't wait to hear about the camping trip (that is going to be a good one).

JenJen said...

UGH! My friend has suggested "tentapalooza" this weekend. Giant, HUGE, No-way in hell PASS.
My husband is in...of course.
And I have been dubbed: Mom who doesn't care about her kids having a camping experience
And, I don't.
If God wanted me to sleep outside, He wouldn't have invented the damn Ritz. So There!

f8hasit said...

"sorry Ma'am, rules is rules"...

...and rules were meant to be broken! Bring your air mattress and martini shaker! That'll show 'em!

Have fun! Hope it doesn't rain!
:-)

Bobby Allan said...

Thanks for the shout out! I am thinking of you and hoping you aren't too miserable. I don't even like it when an ant crawls on me when I'm sitting on my front steps.

Godspeed!

Sassy Britches said...

You wouldn't be miserable if you had your pStyle. I'm just saying. :)

Good freaking luck to you, though! This is a huge step for you; I'm so proud.