CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Some (pre-)Assembly Required

‘Twas the night before Christmas…

And while the children were nestled all snug in their beds, Dave and I stealthily pulled out the toys Santa had carefully hidden, unaware of how under qualified we were for the job ahead.

We cruised along, setting up ponies and pet shops and girl toys galore, but the showstopper of the spread was the “some assembly required” Spiderman Tower of Fun for our son, complete with an air-powered zip line and superhero launch pad. We could not wait to see the look on his face the next morning.

By 12:30 a.m. we had freed the last Polly Pocket from her packaging and were ready to tackle the Tower of Fun. Dave searched the house for screwdrivers while I pried open the box. Parts spilled out onto the floor, each securely wrapped and clearly marked --- with a Japanese character.

Hmmm, I thought, I wonder why these are marked in Japanese?

My question was answered as I unfolded the poster-sized paper with step-by-step instructions and photos of a person (who, I might add, did not look happy) assembling the Tower of Fun. They were detailed and in order --- and written entirely in Japanese.

I flipped the poster over, expecting to find English, or even Spanish, hoping those three semesters in college where I learned how to find the library, announce my plans to visit a beach with friends, and order a beer would also enable me to assemble a Tower of Fun.

But the only English words on the poster read, “WARNING: Failure to properly assemble could result in serious – VERY SERIOUS – injury. Follow ALL directions, EXACTLY as written, or your child will surely lose an appendage. DON’T MESS THIS ONE UP!”

Dave returned with two screwdrivers to find his pale wife under the tree staring at a pile of miscellaneous parts.

“It looks like the blue thing goes on the red thing first,” I said, looking at the picture.

“How can you tell?” Dave said, “The picture is in black-and-white.”

By 1:35 a.m. the tower was nearly halfway complete. We still did not know how to attach the power tube to the launch pad, but we did notice all of our neighbors had shut off their lights.

By 2:00 a.m. we had considered and ruled out the option of burning the Tower of Fun and wrapping up one of Luke’s toys from the year before instead.

By 2:40 a.m. we had run out of things to say and had stopped speaking to each other.

By 3:19 a.m. the (expletive) Tower of Fun was upright and mostly functional in spite of the handful of leftover parts. We were the last elves standing, bags like stockings hanging under our eyes, and resolved to never repeat the Tower of ’05…

For I heard Dave exclaim, as we both hit the hay, “We won’t do this next year, no how and no way!”


Dedicated to my parents and parents everywhere; and the “some assembly required” Millennium Falcon of ’84.

8 comments:

JenJen said...

That and you need to be a GD engineer to get these toys unwrapped!

Chris said...

My battle was with a 1996 battery operated ride-in Jeep Cherokee. I'll never forget that Christmas.

Pablo said...

The wost part is that then the kid won't even play with it for more than a day.

I'm convinced that there has never been a single successfully played game of Mousetrap. It is, in fact, a game given by either clueless single people, or parents getting revenge on Aunt Susan who finally had a kid of her own after years of 'fun' presents like Mousetrap.

Julie Dunlap said...

JenJen - Yep, you would think these are highly sensitive explosives the way they are packaged!!!

DK - I feel your pain and am happy to see one can survive after a Christmas Jeep. Mercy.

Pablo - Perfect idea, I will most definitely buy my brothers' children (should they ever have any) Mousetrap to compensate for the gifts of Play-Do's Fuzzy Pumper Barber Shop and a drum they gave my oldest child for her second birthday!

Kelly H-Y said...

Hilarious!

Diane J. said...

I swear it's an evil torture plot. I'm sticking with that theory only until my kids have children of their own. Then I'm buying the biggest contraption with the most pieces to give as a gift. Hee, hee, hee. That will teach them for all those broken windows with ski poles, cooking oil poured on cream colored carpet with a touch of mustard, and the comments of "Mom, you just don't get it."

Your post was so funny, thanks for the laugh.

Laura said...

Wanted to let you know that I agree with the "Best. Christmas. Album. Ever." John Denver (RIP) and the Muppet's ROCKED that album. It is sweet and funny and makes me want to cry when the memories come flooding back of my own childhood Christmases, listening to this album on the record player. My younger daughter loves Miss Piggy in the 12 Days of Christmas. Thank you for mentioning it!

Dan said...

Brilliant post.

So how did the tower go down in the end? Did your wee man like it? And were you very protective of it when he played with it, knowing the amount of hours that went into its creation?